Tune-Up Tips: Digital Coupons EditionOctober 14, 2019
(Editor’s note: This is part of a monthly series about tuning up different aspects of marketing activities.)
Coupons play quite a role in consumers’ purchasing decisions. Almost 7 in 10 shoppers decide where to shop based on where they can use paperless discounts.
The success of digital coupons hinges on a great offer and making it accessible. We share 6 tips to help you optimize your digital coupon offerings in this article.
Tune-Up Tip #1: Plan for Parents
Most parents prioritize time over money. A few fast stats about parents to keep in mind:
• 68% of Millennial parents and 60% of all parents will spend more money to save time
• 59% of Millennial parents and 52% of all parents say work and family demands make it difficult to get shopping, home tasks and errands done
• 68% of Millennial parents and 60% of all parents look for coupons online (vs. 38% of all consumers)
• Parents are the most likely demographic to load electronic coupons onto a loyalty card (67% of Millennial parents and 58% of parents vs. 40% of all consumers)
When targeting digital coupons to parents, emphasize time-saving products, such as prepared meals.
Tune-Up Tip #2: Understand Who the Online Shopper Is
Who is shopping online?
• Tends to be Millennials and Gen X
• 2 in 10 are Hispanic
• Males tend to buy food and household goods online
• Online shoppers are likely to have children in the household
• Average household income is $81,800
Tune-Up Tip #3: Promote New Products
Coupons could be the trigger that influences customers to try something new.
Coupons influence 86% of consumers to try new products over their usual brands. Leverage coupons to promote new products.
Tune-Up Tip #4: Offer Digital but Optimize Coupons for Print
Digital coupons are hot.
Three in 4 consumers use paperless discounts. However, about 1 in 3 prefer to print coupons that they found on the Internet.
Tune-Up Tip #5: Put the App in Appealing
A growing number of consumers prefer to get their paperless discounts on their smartphones. In 2019, 38% of consumers preferred to get their discounts via smartphone, up from the 32% who had this preference in 2017.
Three in 10 consumers use a mobile app to get digital discounts and 56% of all consumers use a store’s savings app to obtain discounts.
Tune-Up Tip #6: Promote on Multiple Channels
• 71% Store websites
• 70% Manufacturer/brand websites
• 68% Coupon websites
• 67% Search engines
• 61% Links from blogs/savings sites
• 50% Social networking sites
Editor’s note: This is another entry in our monthly Tune-Up Tips series. Look for our next Tune-Up Tips: Responding to Reviews Edition on November 25, 2019.
Read the previous entries in our Tune-Up Series: